Re: non-PCI driver name lookup

On 2019-07-09 14:23, maya%netbsd.org@localhost wrote:
On Tue, Jul 09, 2019 at 11:07:37AM +0100, Robert Swindells wrote:

maya%netbsd.org@localhost wrote:
>On Sun, Jul 07, 2019 at 11:23:14PM +0100, Robert Swindells wrote:
>>
>> The pinebook uses the modesetting X11 driver.
>>
>> An application that calls DRI2Connect() doesn't get back valid values
>> for device name and driver name so typically assumes that DRI2 isn't
>> available.
>>
>> This looks to be down to how libdrm tries to work out which driver is
>> being used from an open file descriptor. I presume the NetBSD specific
>> code in it does work for PCI devices but it looks like we need to add
>> something for display devices that are built into the CPU.
>
>I assume, although I can't find proof that it's the case, that you want
>to adjust the 'unique' value.
>
>arm/nvidia/tegra_nouveau.c
>257:	master->unique = kmem_asprintf("platform:tegra_nouveau:%02d", id);

The 'unique' value ought to be fine, there is code in
arm/sunxi/sunxi_drm.c to create it, but it never gets called.

>I think the code in libdrm looks at this value via DRM_IOCTL_GET_UNIQUE,
>but I'm not sure.

It does, and creation of the unique value should be done lazily from
the DRM_IOCTL_SET_VERSION ioctl. This ioctl fails as the is_master
member of the file struct for the drm device isn't set. Not got any
further in tracking down why.

You might find the description here useful,
https://github.com/coypoop/drm/blob/maya-drm51/sys/external/bsd/drm2/dist/drm/drm_ioctl.c#L79-L99

That doesn't match what libdrm is actually doing.