Re: usmsc weirdness

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih%hamartun.priv.no@localhost> writes:

> Meanwhile, I'm now at the cabin for the weekend, and I brought along a
> USB ethernet dongle, giving me an axe0 device to play with.  Using that
> instead of usmsc0 seems to let the Pi boot reliably.  With luck, the
> intermittent weird misbehaviour of the networking will be gone, too.

Well, using the axe0 instead of usmsc0 seemed to give me a realiable
boot, with no hang at ifconfig time.  I rebooted many times, with
nothing else connected to USB, and it worked every time.  After coming
back down, though, I've lost contact with the Pi, and it's struck me
that there's really a quite obvious candidate explanation for the
strange networking trouble (packets received in periodic bursts instead
of as they arrive), and this sudden loss of contact with a system that
seemed perfectly reliable over the days I was there: the ambient
temperature sinks to about -10C when I'm not actually at the cabin.

I'm guessing the jerky networking with the usmsc0 was an interrupt line
that failed to work when it got cold, turning packet delivery into
something that happened when a buffer filled, or something.  Now, after
switching to an external USB dongle for networking, the dongle itself is
failing in the low temperature.

I should probably build a "winter enclosure" for all of the hardware
(Pi, dongle, router, VoIP interface, mobile networking modem, Tellstick,
and four wall warts), to conserve and share the heat it generates.

-tih
--
Most people who graduate with CS degrees don't understand the significance
of Lisp.  Lisp is the most important idea in computer science.  --Alan Kay