Re: strange ne2000ish card on A1200

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 03:22:29AM +0100, Karoly Balogh (Charlie/SGR) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 26 Mar 2020, is%netbsd.org@localhost wrote:
>
> > Does anything interesting happen if you take it out and put it in again?
> > (Maybe do such experiments in single user mode first, without r/w mounted
> > file systems.)
>
> No, nothing happens. Nothing new in dmesg either.
>
> > > I can try over the WE with netbsd-current, if necessary.
> >
> > I think 7 vs. current shouldn' make a difference, but: must be
> > latest 7 tree, *with* the 16bit patch for Amiga PCMCIA. Do you
> > have that?
>
> Yes I do. This is where I started. I verified I had that patch, then I
> tried this network card, because I assumed (from the cnet16.device
> requirement) that it needs 16bit accesses, so might be affected by this
> fix.
>
> > src/sys/arch/amiga/dev/gayle_pcmcia.c
> >
> > should have the version
> >
> > 1.29.4.3 or later (-7; the -7.2 is not enough)
>
> I verified it again, yes I compile version 1.29.4.3 of gayle_pcmcia.c
>
> > Maybe PCMCIAVERBOSE would be a help here, too.
>
> Ok, I added it, here's the extra info:
>
> pcmcia0 at pccard0
> pcmcia0: CIS version unknown (major=1, minor=0)
> pcmcia0: CIS info: PCMCIA, Fast-Ethernet, ,
> pcmcia0: Manufacturer code 0xffff, product 0x1090
> pcmcia0: function0: network adapter, ccr addr 3c0 mask 63
> pcmcia0: function0, config table entry 7: I/O card; irq mask ffff; iomask
> a, io space 300-31f; mwait_required io16 irqlevel
> ne0 at pcmcia0 function 0: <PCMCIA, Fast-Ethernet, , >
> ne0: where did the card go?
>
> > Else we can take a look at the card_info .bin file.
> >
> > I also suspect we might need to set some flag for the 100mbit/s
> > variants (AXIS 99... chipsets) somehwere - I had hoped this would
> > be detected by querying the hardware. More driver code reading.
>
> Well, I've seen some of the HW description structures setting this flag
> explicitly, so maybe it's not trivial to detect.

Ah, I see (after reading sys/dev/ic/ne2000.c). I'd guess it's a
AX88190 variant, like the EDIMAX EP4101 which has the same product
ID of 0x1090,

That is, change

    { PCMCIA_VENDOR_INVALID, 0x1090,
      { "PCMCIA", "Fast-Ethernet", NULL, NULL},
      0, -1, { 0x00, 0x40, 0xf4 }, 0},

in your patched if_ne_pcmcia.c to

    { PCMCIA_VENDOR_INVALID, 0x1090,
      { "PCMCIA", "Fast-Ethernet", NULL, NULL},
      0, -1, { 0x00, 0x40, 0xf4 }, NE2000DVF_AX88190},

If that fails, you can guess NE2000DVF_DL10019.