Re: 3c589 PCMCIA on A1200 - possible resolution to PR port-amiga/31134

Hi,

On Sat, 21 Mar 2020, is%netbsd.org@localhost wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 09:54:57PM +0100, Karoly Balogh (Charlie/SGR) wrote:
>
> > I was testing a netbsd-7 kernel today whatever is latest on that CVS
> > branch. My own build. Verified the patch is actually part of the source
> > I'm building.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that another Edimax NE2000 compatible PCMCIA
card is actually working with the kernel, both before and after the patch.
(This one is also served by cnet.device, but the 8 bit variant of that
driver, under AmigaOS).

> > pcmcia0 at pccard0
> > pcmcia0 function 0: (PCMCIA, Fast-Ethernet, , ) (manufacturer 0xffff,
> > product 0x1090)
> >  not configured
> >
> > I wonder if the hardware is broken, as that manufacturer ID seems
> > suspicious, just as the missing vendor info, but the fact is, is still
> > works under AmigaOS. I never tried the card in any other computer but my
> > A1200 and A600.
>
> 0xffff isn't a valid manufaturer ID.
>
> hm, what other cards does cnet.device serve?

NE2000 compatible in general. cnet.device is for cards requiring 8 bit
access. cnet16.device (which this card needs) is for cards requiring 16
bit accesses. Otherwise it's largely the same driver. The special thing
about this PF-16i, that it supports 100Mbit transfers in theory, unline
most other NE cards which are 10Mbit only.

> what ethernet address does your card get with AmigaOS?

00:40:F4:18:A2:E9. This actually matches the label on the card, which
shows the same MAC. Also I just went back and verified if the card is
still functional under AmigaOS, and it is.

> Maybe we can patch the driver of some chipset to accept your card.

I think this should be served by the ne driver as well, given cnet.device
is the equivalent of that under AmigaOS. I started looking into adding its
IDs somewhere, but I don't have too much experience in the NetBSD kernel,
so hints welcomed.

Charlie