Optimisations

Hello,

After noticing a substantial increase in the speed of a program while
compiling with -m68060, I wanted to know about how to rebuild tools with
such optimisations.

In /etc/mk.conf, amongst other things, I have:
M68060=1
COPTS=-O2 -m68060

This is just for packages, yes? How can I make this the default for all
compiling on my system?

Also, how can I rebuild my tools (gcc and such) with optimisations? More
importantly, how can I do it safely? I have almost 60 users, lots of
constant web traffic, and I don't restart my computer.

Finally, is there a way to check binaries to see if they're compiled with
optimisations? I just installed Apache with mod_perl, and running webmail
takes a lot of CPU when the user has lots of mail. I'd like to make
certain that Apache and Perl are compiled with optimisations.

Thanks much,
John Klos
http://www.sixgirls.org/