Re: "reboot" on A3000 ?

ignatios%cs.uni-bonn.de@localhost (Ignatios Souvatzis) meinte zu "Re: "reboot"
on A3000 ?":

> a) the WD33C93 chips cannot reset the scsi bus themselves.
>
> b) the stupid adapters using this chip on Amiga dont have extra
> hardware to do this, other than the global cpu RESET line.
>
> c) sync state, after having been negotiated, will persist on any
> device, till renegotiation, or the global SCSI bus reset condition.
>
> d) if you leave a disk running sync, and try to access it async, you
> will be hung forever waiting for its first ack pulse.
>
> e) If the Amiga ROM can't proberly handle the disks bug in sync
> negotiation, it might fail to negotiate sync again. Or, if you told
> the RDB block or AmigaOS to never negotiate sync, it won't do it at all.
>
> Now, while this would appear on the NetBSD->Amiga boot, I don't
> understand.

Maybe it's an AmigaOS or SCSI Device problem. My A3000 (ROM 3.1) has the
same problem after a soft reboot from _AmigaOS_ (e.g. when clicking on
"Reboot" after trying to close HDToolBox): All four HardDisks work ok
(sync flags set in RDB and battmem), but trying to mount the Toshiba
CD-ROM freezes the SCSI-Bus with LED on (Powering the CD-ROM off and on
again solves the problem). This only happens when the reboot was done by
software, a keyboard-reset always works ok.

The reboot done by NetBSD(1.1) has the same effect: Software reboot -> no
SCSI bus reset -> SCSI device maybe left in sync mode (default on
power-on is async).

Perhaps it would be a workaround to switch all SCSI Devices to async mode
before rebooting?

Ciao, Detlef
--
_ // TetiSoft%apg.lahn.de@localhost