Re: "reboot" on A3000 ?

On Wed, 4 Dec 1996, Kevin P. Neal wrote:

> Yellow == Exception before the main exception handling code is in place, i.e.
> it can't put up a Guru msg, because the system isn't up that far. The example
> that was given before for this was the case (and Bruce, I know you know this!)
> where the A3000 daughterboard isn't in place on startup. Like when adding
> RAM or something, and you don't feel like putting it totally back together
> just to test it.
>
> Blue might mean the ROMs failed. Hung on black might mean the hardware is
> hosed, and not working well enough to run the self-tests. This can happen
> if, for example, you have a Z-III board that isn't happy with your board
> and chipset.
>
> Another instance of the black screen is when you can't get pair of cards to
> work, but they do work when rearranging them. I saw this problem, and it
> ended up being a power supply that was going out on me.
>
> Hung on white typically means (on my 3000) that the SCSI is hosed up. Time
> to check cabling. Also, a very very long time spent on white before it comes
> up can also mean cabling problems.

Does anyone offhand know what a flashing Orange screen is?  I left my
A4000 on one day, came back and NetBSD was frozen.  I did a CTRL-LA-RA
reboot, got an orange bootup-error screen, then black.  When I swapped the
C=3640 with a C=3630 CPU card, I get a continously rebooting green
bootup-error

BTW, I too noticed that if I had something that was already munching on
the MMU before loading NetBSD (ie, SoftBoot), NetBSD would be stuck on a
white screen when the machine tried to reboot.  However, if I boot NetBSD
from KS 1.4, it would reboot fine.