Re: Removing obsolete packages

On Fri, Aug 18, 2006 at 03:11:40PM -0400, David Howland wrote:
> Aleksey Cheusov wrote:
> > IMHO it is much better to mark such packages
> > (and optionally prevent them from building) than to delete them.
> > In this case wip users (and new ones too) have a chance
> > to easyly find them and finish the required changes.
>
> For the ones that are works-in-progress, i guess we could:
>
> 1) mark the packages as broken/abandoned with PKG_SKIP_REASON
> 2) remove the SUBDIR+=pkgname from Makefile and put it in another file
>     (named SKIPPED or something)
>
> Rather than just deleting them.  I guess the question is how cleaned-up
> we want it to be.

I think it would be a good idea to send an automatic email to the
author of a package when his package's autobuild fails.  (I, for one,
didn't realise some of my packages had broken until I had this pointed
out to me)

Send mail to the author once or twice, then mark the package in some
way, and after a certain period of time delete them.

Peter
--
http://sjamaan.ath.cx
                                                        -- Donald Knuth