Re: Removing obsolete packages

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006, David Howland wrote:

> I think marking it would be a good idea, and sending an email direct to
> the maintainer.  I had several packages that failed due to missing
> distfiles, and they are not abandoned.  I already had the distfiles on
> my machine, so I didnt know until the bulk build.  I'll be fixing them soon.

I was planning to send mail to the maintainers after waiting a couple of
days to see that there were no objections to my proposal.

I do not see much benefit of marking these packages, since I doubt that
anyone will see the marking...  But both you and Thomas seems to think it
is a good thing to do, so I guess I should do that anyway...

> By the way, thanks for the bulk build!  I find this very useful,  I wish
> they occurred more often!

I plan to run the bulk builds more often.  My goal is to do at least
monthly builds, but I'll try to do them more often than that.

> On another note, this may be a good time to bring up something I've been
> thinking about regarding WIP.
>
> It seems there are a lot of packages in wip that are broken, abandoned,
> out-dated, or duplicates.  In fact, I'm thinking as many as half of the
> packages are like that.

That leaves quite a lot of packages that are fully working and ready.  I
think we should be much better at moving those to pkgsrc... (BTW. I expect
to have some time available for such work the coming weeks, so if you have
ready packages that build without errors in the bulk build and passes
pkglint without errors, please send a request for review to
pkgsrc-wip-review, and I'll try to review/move it...)

> WIP stands for work-in-progress after all.  What if there was a method
> of tracking every package in wip.  Each package would have a state, off
> the top of my head, I'm thinking READY, INPROGRESS, NEEDSUPDATE,
> ABANDONED, DUPLICATE.  Then, each package maintainer (or anyone else)
[...]
> Just throwing it out there.  Let me know what you guys think.

I like the general idea, but I am afraid it will require too much work to
keep up to date.  One simpler idea is to mark all packages as ABANDONED,
and let people remove tha mark for the packages they care about.  We can
then remove all packages that still are marked as ABANDONED after e.g. 3
months...

    /Krister