Re: Removing obsolete packages

Thomas Klausner wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 12, 2006 at 08:34:42PM +0200, Krister Walfridsson wrote:
>> pkgsrc-wip contains IMHO far too many obsolete packages which
>> makes it hard to find the useful stuff (and cause extra work when
>> all packages need to be updated because of infrastructure changes).
>>
>> In particular, there were 143 failures in my latest pkgsrc-wip
>> bulk build that failed because the distfiles could not be fetched.
>> I find it unlikely that anyone will miss those packages (since they
>> cannot be used without the distfile anyway) so I'd like to remove
>> them...  There is however no need to hurry, so I propose to wait
>> for three months before removing them, to let people who care about
>> those have plenty of time to find alternative locations for the
>> distfiles.
>>
>> I have attached a list of the failing packages.  I propose to remove
>> the packages that still can not fetch their distfiles at November 15.
>
> Could we mark the packages in some way so that it is clear that
> this package will be removed, something like the BROKEN_IN
> stuff in pkgsrc?
>  Thomas

I think marking it would be a good idea, and sending an email direct to
the maintainer.  I had several packages that failed due to missing
distfiles, and they are not abandoned.  I already had the distfiles on
my machine, so I didnt know until the bulk build.  I'll be fixing them soon.

By the way, thanks for the bulk build!  I find this very useful,  I wish
they occurred more often!

On another note, this may be a good time to bring up something I've been
thinking about regarding WIP.

It seems there are a lot of packages in wip that are broken, abandoned,
out-dated, or duplicates.  In fact, I'm thinking as many as half of the
packages are like that.

WIP stands for work-in-progress after all.  What if there was a method
of tracking every package in wip.  Each package would have a state, off
the top of my head, I'm thinking READY, INPROGRESS, NEEDSUPDATE,
ABANDONED, DUPLICATE.  Then, each package maintainer (or anyone else)
would write justifications for being in a particular state.  This would
be like an extended TODO file for packages in WIP.  The way I envision
it is with some kind of automatic checking that would check the states,
notify the maintainers, find duplicates, etc.  But of course I have no
time to write such a thing.

So, picture a website with a list of all of the packages.  Click on one
of mine, cb2bib, and you'd see something like:

INPROGRESS
   - Enable support for using optional features with pdftotext and tetex
   - Verify the portability of patch-ab

(thats from the current TODO file in that package)
Then, after the bulk build a few days ago, it would read:

NEEDSUPDATE
   - Fails bulk build (link)  Cannot find distfiles
   - Enable support for using optional features with pdftotext and tetex
   - Verify the portability of patch-ab

You get the idea.

There would be no more mystery about what is going on with each package,
  and after a few months, the repository could be cleaned out.

Just throwing it out there.  Let me know what you guys think.

-d