Re: Package not honoring pkgsrc settings

Alberto Mijares <amijaresp%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

>> And, if you are trying to build modern/bloated things in c++ like qt,
>> then I would say even if you can't build gcc10, you should build 7, then
>> set GCC_REQD to 7, and then build 10, and then set to 10.  You are far
>> better off with a single compiler for most things.
>
> This is what I did. I installed gcc7 and compiled everything else on it.

Again "compiled everything else on it" does not convey what you actually
did.

>> pkgsrc selects the compiler according to a bunch of rules.  In this
>> case, it appears:
>
> One of those rules, I guess, is in PATH. I mean, cc is searched in
> PATH and the first found is used, so my solution was to change the
> order of the directories defined in PATH so it search in PREFIX first.

You can read mk/compiler*.  You can then look in work/.compiler.

I am unclear on if pkgsrc has a PATH order requirement. That would feel
like a bug.

However, normal practice is to have /usr/pkg/bin in $PATH before
/usr/bin.

And, compiled gcc7 is notin /usr/pkg/bin, but in /usr/pkg/gcc7/bin. The
compiler logic finds it and puts in symlinks.