Package not honoring pkgsrc settings

Greetings everybody,

I'm working on a CentOS 6.10 and the first thing to do was to install a newer compiler (gcc7).

Most of the packages I need have been compiled with almost no issue. However, now I'm dealing with zstd.

For some reason, I can see in debug logs that the build process is using the base CC (/usr/bin/cc) instead of the PKGSRC CC ($PREFIX/gcc7/bin/gcc). And therefore I'm seeing a nasty error about assembly instructions not understood by the compiler.

Now I wonder why this happens and whats the best approach to fix. I tried prefixing env variables, editing pkgsrc Makefile, mk.conf and nothing works. Should I patch the upstream Makefile? I guess this is where the build process finds the last word regarding the compiler set to use.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Best regards

Alberto Mijares