Re: Upgrade all installed packages

    Date:        Fri, 21 Apr 2023 09:04:56 -0400
    From:        Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost>

  | Do you really mean
  |
  |   The pkg_rolling-replace binary package should download a private copy
  |   of pgksrc (into $PREFIX/var/pkg_rolling-replace presumably) when a
  |   user runs it?
  |
  | That seems a bit much.

I don't know what that package does, never used it.   But assuming that
it is a tool for rebuilding from pkgsrc, then no, I don't - as it is
assuming that the user has pkgsrc somewhere, and isn't just using binary
packages.

What it should do is have a run time option (either on the command line,
or in a config file) which sets where pkgsrc already exists - or perhaps,
if anyone would use it, where it should exist, in which case it could
download and unpack pkgsrc if it isn't there already.

It certainly shouldn't have the source dir path it was built from embedded
in it, with some assumption that that is where the sources should always
exist - even if the binary was built locally, there's no guarantee that the
sources will be in the same place when it runs later.

My /etc/mk.conf contains

	PKGSRCDIR=/usr/src/pkgsrc

(currently) - I see no reason why something that was going to rebuild
packages wouldn't use that.   But there should also be a mechanism to
override it.

kre