Re: Upgrade all installed packages

    Date:        Fri, 21 Apr 2023 07:50:42 -0400
    From:        Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost>

  | I think it's reasonable for tools that need a source dir to encode
  | PKGSRCDIR in their builds.

I don't.

  | The idea of binary distributions that people
  | use with source later is a little funny to start with.

Slightly, if viewed that way.  But that binary distributions need
extra data (whether that is a configuration file, some template, or
even source code) is perfectly normal, and none of that should be
being obtained from PKGSRCDIR which, as in users of binary packages,
might not even exist (not anywhere accessible).

  | While people put trees in all sorts of places, I see /usr/pkgsrc
  | as the canonical location for a pkgsrc that has been bootstrapped to
  | (or is native at) /usr/pkg.

I don't.   Nor do I see /usr/binsrc as the canonical location for binaries
that live in /bin.

Sources should all live under /usr/src (believe it or not, NetBSD does not
own that location) and pkgsrc should really be /usr/src/pkg - but the nature
of CVS makes that difficult at best, and /usr/src/pkgsrc (if a little
redundant) works just fine.

  | So as I see it, using the canoncical PKGSRCDIR is just one more thing a
  | binary distribution should do, in addition to using defaults for
  | everything else.

No, if it needs sources to be available, it should include them in the
package that has been built, and unpack them somewhere under /usr/pkg (or
whatever whichever conf var it is which allows that to be altered is set
to - been a long time since I wanted to do that).

kre