Re: Upgrade all installed packages

* On 2023-04-21 at 06:07 BST, Jason Bacon wrote:

I tend toward keeping things simple, and demanding the minimum from the user, so requiring the user to provide the location of the pkgsrc tree every time is something I would avoid unless it's really necessary. Though, I have thought about making it an option for more advanced users if that would be helpful to anyone. I suspect, though, that such users don't need a tool like auto-update-pkgsrc. It's aimed more at helping the typical user expedite the process and avoid human error.

The current implementation in wip makes no assumptions about the location of the tree relative to PREFIX. It's taken from PKGSRCDIR, which appears to be recorded during bootstrap. Assuming that moving a pkgsrc tree after bootstrapping is considered a bad idea for other reasons, this should not be a limiting factor.

PKGSRCDIR shouldn't be recorded - as Al says many of us use trees at different locations across the file system (and indeed if it is recorded then it makes binary package distributions effectively useless).

However, many many packages do support PKGSRCDIR as an environment variable, so I think if you just support that too then everything should be ok.

--
Jonathan Perkin   -   mnx.io   -   pkgsrc.smartos.org
Open Source Complete Cloud   www.tritondatacenter.com