Re: NetBSD 8, non-desktop and desktop uses

On Wed, Aug 03, 2022 at 11:55:49AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> The hypothesis remains that there are no people that use NetBSD-8 with
> big desktop-type GUI programs that are obtained from TNF builds.  And
> therefore that we don't need to care e.g. that firefox might not work in
> recent official package sets.

Saying it's just firefox is doing the brokenness a disservice.
Let's look at what's actually failing in the latest bulk build for -8:

- lots of random python libraries
- fortran [scietific python, etc...]
- poppler
- librsvg
- nodejs
- graphviz
- haskell
- gcc7
- R
- erlang (bugs in Xen; -9 has a xenclock driver that works around it)

... and now the "desktop" stuff:

- xfce
- mate
- qt5
- fltk

The stuff that works is mostly the simplest (just C, no C++ or only
really old C++ standards) headless packages, your standard
apache/php/nginx/postgres job, which people can easily build
themselves.

I'd say it'd be most honest to discontinue NetBSD 8 builds rather
than continue uploading really broken ones.