Re: pbulk like ability to install from built package in pkgsrc

* On 2022-07-24 at 20:04 BST, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

Am Sun, Jul 24, 2022 at 04:55:11PM +0200 schrieb Rhialto:
On Wed 20 Jul 2022 at 06:52:39 -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> I have in mk.conf
>
>   DEPENDS_TARGET=         bin-install clean
>
> which is mentioned in the guide under 'make update' (which IMHO nobody
> should use).  Instead of building, this leads to 'bin-install' which
> will try to pkg_add a binary package that may or may not be there and if
> that fails it is built, and finally clean to clean up the work/ from the
> source case.

Shouldn't this really be the default for DEPENDS_TARGET, anyway?

No, because it defaults to using packages remotely build. It also
doesn't know whether e.g. options or patches match the state of the
tree.

To be fair, that's the fault of the default BINPKG_SITES for NetBSD, which I don't think should be set at all. I think it'd be clearer to have DEPENDS_TARGET default to bin-install, and have strong docs around BINPKG_SITES detailing that options must match exactly, or that the user knows what they're doing and are only building leaf pkgs, which is the setup I provide for users of my pkgbuild infrastructure.

--
Jonathan Perkin   -   mnx.io   -   pkgsrc.smartos.org
Open Source Complete Cloud   www.tritondatacenter.com