Re: pbulk like ability to install from built package in pkgsrc

Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost> writes:

> When I am trying to create a new package or experimenting with a package
> in a sandbox I need all the dependencies of the subject package to be
> installed in the sandbox.

> pbulk on the other hand has the ability to install binary packages that
> might already be built and found in the packages directory (may be with
> some checks that decide whether such package needs to be rebuilt or not).
>
> Does or can pkgsrc have a feature to bring the dependencies up to date the
> way pbulk does?

Sort of, and it is not documented well enough in the guide, or I would
have just tersely pointed you there :-)  (Seriously, if you have not
read the entire guide thoroughly, you should.)

I have in mk.conf

  DEPENDS_TARGET=         bin-install clean

which is mentioned in the guide under 'make update' (which IMHO nobody
should use).  Instead of building, this leads to 'bin-install' which
will try to pkg_add a binary package that may or may not be there and if
that fails it is built, and finally clean to clean up the work/ from the
source case.

This doesn't check if the binary package is up-to-date in the pbulk
strict sense, but in theory a package that exists with the same
PKGREVISION is up to date, as long as you haven't changed it, changed
options, or something like that.