Re: Invoking an arbitrary command from a window manager

> On Sat, Jun 26, 2021 at 05:41:29AM -0000, Michael van Elst wrote:
> > On the other hand, I haven't seen a "prompt for a single command"
> > program. Most people will probably just run a terminal program
> > to enter commands.

> It often is part of some other component of the "desktop environment".
> In XFce you have a "run command" option as part of the Panel's
> "Applications Menu" item. Nothing magic needed to do that task.

> The Window manager is responsible to run (sometimes invisible
> background) programs if you press specific application/function keys
> (as other parts would not be able to intercept those reliably).

> Martin  (Husemann)

If "run command" is not part of the applications menu, how do I put it there?

What is behind Xfce's "run command"?

I believe MS-Windows uses Alt-F2 for this purpose.  Icewm has Ctrl-Alt-Spacebar.

from nia:

> x11/dmenu
> x11/rofi

I already have dmenu installed (easy).

On this computer, where devel/libuv won't configure for failure to find ltmain.sh, I won't be able to build x11/rofi or sysutils/grun.

from Bob Bernstein:

> You want sysutils/grun.

> After building and installing, which are trivial, add an entry for it in your
> ~/.icewm/toolbar file.

Not so trivial on this computer, not needed on other computer, at least for icewm, where I already have Ctrl-Alt-Spacebar.

Tom