Re: Invoking an arbitrary command from a window manager

On Sat, Jun 26, 2021 at 05:41:29AM -0000, Michael van Elst wrote:
> On the other hand, I haven't seen a "prompt for a single command"
> program. Most people will probably just run a terminal program
> to enter commands.

It often is part of some other component of the "desktop environment".
In XFce you have a "run command" option as part of the Panel's
"Applications Menu" item. Nothing magic needed to do that task.

The Window manager is responsible to run (sometimes invisible
background) programs if you press specific application/function keys
(as other parts would not be able to intercept those reliably).

Martin