Re: Invoking an arbitrary command from a window manager

mueller6725%twc.com@localhost ("Thomas Mueller") writes:

>Not everything can be put in a menu; user will forget at least a few things, and I might want something like
>uxterm -fn 8x16 -geometry 230x60 -title "nbarlene" -e login

>I don't know why X Window manager developers don't think of this limitation.

Because a X Window manager has a specific purpose and it can easily
run an arbitrary program that prompts for a command. In a desktop
enviroment you usually have many small programs that handle the
different aspects. Even the menus aren't necessarily a part of the
window manager.

On the other hand, I haven't seen a "prompt for a single command"
program. Most people will probably just run a terminal program
to enter commands.