Re: Strange CONFLICTS definitions render pkgin full-upgrade impossible

On Fri, May 21, 2021, at 10:22, nia wrote:
> On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 09:02:49AM +0200, Aleksej Lebedev wrote:

> > > These packages are self-conflicting between different ruby
> > > versions (e.g. ruby26-bluecloth and ruby25-bluecloth can't be
> > > installed at once) because they install an unprefixed/suffixed
> > > binary to bin/.
> >
> > Thanks, this makes sense. However the package should not conflict with itself built against the same version of ruby.
> > Which means that either CONFLICTS should be fixed (I don't see how) or, alternatively, pkgin can be patched so that it ignore that kind of conflict.
> >
> > It seems to me that the second option is more viable.
>
> No. pkgin is correct.

A agree that it's correct in the sense that it reports the conflict that is declared by the package.
However, wouldn't it be nice if pkgin detected (and reported as a warning) the conflicts that are there clearly by mistake.
I think it's simply not user-friendly to produce errors like this and not giving the user to ignore the non-existing problem.

> The package is wrong and the CONFLICT should be removed correctly -
> either by renaming the bin/ to include a ruby version suffix
> (and using ALTERNATIVES as you suggested), or splitting off the bin/
> component into a different package.

True, no questions about that.

--
Aleksej Lebedev