Re: strange trouble building qgis

Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> writes:

> On Sat, Sep 12, 2020 at 10:35:09AM +0200, Roland Illig wrote:
>> NetBSD's make indeed needs 4 dollars to work, which can be seen in
>> src/usr.bin/make/unit-tests/dep-var.mk. GNU make only needs 2 dollars.
>
> That sounds like a bug in our make. It explicitly documents $$ to be expanded
> to a single `$', and this is the right hand side of a dependency rule, not
> a variable name (where the resulting $ would lead to another expansion).
>
> Also no shell should be involved for this RHS, so no $ expansion at
> that level either. Sounds like something is broken to me.

Thanks for all of the comments.  I hoped for something useful, but
finding out that our make behaves differently than gmake and that cmake
changed overnight exceeded expectations!

Roland: Can you explain why netbsd make needs 4 $ to resolve to one $ in
a filename on a RHS of a dependency line?   I thought $foo was a
variable and $$foo was just literarlly '$foo', but maybe that's gmake
thinking.

Thomas: I suspect that cmake presumes that nbmake is used on NetBSD,
rather than knowing, and that this is basically a wrong assumption.
I'll have a look.

(I put cmake on the 3/1 early freeze milestone; this reminds me that
cmake updates often have fallout.  8/21 is totally fine of course - just
wouldn't want to see a cmake update on 9/17.)