Re: IMPORTANT: macOS binary package users

* On 2020-07-09 at 16:57 BST, Jonathan Perkin wrote:

> For those of you using my binary packages for macOS available from:
>
>   https://pkgsrc.joyent.com/install-on-osx/
>
> Please ensure that you run "pkg_add mksh" before doing any further
> pkgin install or ugprade operations.

This repository is now back online.  To re-iterate, if you have an
existing install, you MUST run "pkg_add mksh" before running your next
"pkgin upgrade", otherwise you will run into a chicken-and-egg problem
where package install scripts will try to execute a shell that is not
yet installed, resulting in lots of broken package installs.

For any new users, there is now an updated bootstrap kit available,
and if you follow the instructions on the install page above then
there is no need for any manual pkg_add workarounds, you can simply
use pkgin as normal.

If you are reading this and have already run into problems by running
"pkgin upgrade" on an existing install, then the best way to recover
is a reinstall.  Thankfully this is relatively straight-forward:

  1. Back up any changes made to files under /opt/pkg/etc.  If you
     have not deliberately made any changes then you do not need to do
     anything here.

  2. Save a copy of your installed package lists by running:

       # pkgin export >installed-pkgs.txt

  3. Completely remove the existing install using:

       # rm -rf /opt/pkg /var/db/pkgin

  4. Install the new bootstrap kit using the instructions at:

       https://pkgsrc.joyent.com/install-on-osx/

  5. After install, restore your list of installed packages by
     running:

       # pkgin import installed-pkgs.txt

  6. Restore any manual changes you made to /opt/pkg/etc files if
     necessary.

Again sorry for the downtime, this is the first major issue I've had
in over 5 years of providing this service, and will hopefully be the
last to require such drastic intervention.

Thanks,