Re: jabberd (1) deletion?

Le 2019-10-04 05:02, Greg Troxel a écrit :
Frédéric Fauberteau <triaxx%triaxx.org@localhost> writes:

Le 2019-07-30 20:42, Greg Troxel a écrit :
Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> writes in April of 2015:

Does anyone use, know anyone who uses, or has heard a rumor that
someone
uses jabberd 1.4.2?  The distfile is dated July 2003, and it seems
almost everyone has migrated to jabberd2.

If you are using it, it's probably worth updating the package to
1.6.1.1, released in June of 2012.  Volunteers?

I dimly remember trying to update from 1.4.2 to 1.4.4 and finding it
harder than migrating a server to jabberd2, so I gave up.

It's now four years later.  As you know I'm not a raging deletionist.

In 2015, someone said they were using it, but now their email bounces.

The update to the 1.6.1.1 release (2007) has not happened yet.

So:

  Is anyone still using jabberd 14?

  Does anyone know anyone who uses it?

  Has anyone heard a rumor that there is still someone using it (from
  pkgsrc)?

I do not use chat/jabberd and never heard any rumor. If there is no
vulnerability, I would try to update it because delete it seems to me
like putting the work of developers to the bin.

Great - I'm glad to hear that you are going to update it!  Feel free to
ask if any questions :-)

It's not us discarding the work; upstream's last release is 12 years
ago. That's so old that I suspect that people tha track of vulnerabilities no
longer care if there are any, because one would not expect anyone to be
still using it.  Plus it's left in archives.

Okay, as usual, I think I was too optimistic :)

I started to build 1.6.1.1. After encountering some GnuTLS build errors, I started to find backport from Linux distribution known for their strong capacity to maintain packages. But Debian removed it :( Argh, bad news!

I noticed that some gnutls_ functions have been removed. No problem, I disabled the code for now. I should probably be able to update it later with the new GnuTLS API. After fixing some other files, the package successfully builds.

At this point, I am 100% sure it will crash :) But I will continue because it's a good exercise for me. I will also look at https://github.com/mawis/jabberd/ because there is a lot of recent commits.

I keep calm and I carry on :)