bootstrap failure on FreeBSD 12

I am following the instructions per documentation to build pkgsrc on FreeBSD:

    cvs -danoncvs%anoncvs.netbsd.org@localhost:/cvsroot checkout pkgsrc
    cd pkgsrc/bootstrap
    ./bootstrap

It seems to build libarchive and then fails with the following error:

configure: updating cache config.cache
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating add/Makefile
config.status: creating admin/Makefile
config.status: creating create/Makefile
config.status: creating delete/Makefile
config.status: creating info/Makefile
config.status: creating lib/Makefile
config.status: creating lib/pkg_install.conf.5
config.status: creating lib/pkg_install.conf.cat
config.status: creating lib/config.h
cd: lib: No such file or directory
*** [all] Error code 1

bmake: stopped in /var/data/tmp/pkgsrc/bootstrap/work/pkg_install
1 error

bmake: stopped in /var/data/tmp/pkgsrc/bootstrap/work/pkg_install
===> exited with status 2
aborted.

There is a lib directory present in bootstrap/work/pkg_install. I tried to step into the directory and run make just to see and I get the same error:

cd work/pkg_install/
../bmake/bmake
cd: lib: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1

Stop.
bmake: stopped in /var/data/tmp/pkgsrc/bootstrap/work/pkg_install

The system is FreeBSD web 12.0-RELEASE-p7 GENERIC  amd64