Re: Resources for Pkgsrc

Leonardo Taccari <leot%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> Hello Swift,
>
> Swift Griggs writes:
>>
>> https://www.netbsd.org/docs/pkgsrc/developers-guide.html
>>
>> When folks who are pkgsrc committers want definitive documentation on
>> pkgsrc do they use this? Is it more or less up to date? I'm thinking I
>> should read it "cover to cover" because I want to become more savvy at
>> fixing my own pkgsrc woes etc... I also want to understand more of the
>> nuances of problems which are discussed on the list.
>
> Yes, `The pkgsrc guide' is probably the best documentation about
> it and reading it cover to cover (also the other parts!) is surely
> a good way to learn using pkgsrc, maintaining packages and it also
> gives a good overview about the pkgsrc infrastructure (the internals).

I tend to read it by pkgsrc/doc/pkgsrc.txt, so I can just search with
emacs.

The other thing to read is the comments in the various mk files.
Generally if you find yourself using such a file, you should read the
introductory comments and maybe skim the rest.

>> Given the number of changes I see in CVS, I also am wondering:
>>
>> Do folks coordinate mainly on the list or on IRC ? Which channels?
>> freenode->netbsd ?
>
> For pkgsrc there is also #pkgsrc@Freenode.

Most changes are uncontroversial and don't get discussed at all.  I
think that exxplains most of your perception.

Often if someone is making a change that is more than trivial, and there
is a MAINTAINER, that will be asked about in private mail.  As in "I'm
about to update foo to x.y, which seems like a minor update - is that ok
wtih you?" and "Sure, thanks, I just didn't get to it".

Discussion of anything high impact belongs on tech-pkg@.

>> Are the high-impact changes (new compilers, new standards, etc..) made
>> "out in the open" or do they mostly happen on IRC or with just a small
>> cadre of folks discussing it off list?

In theory, tech-pkg.

>> Basically, I'm trying to square the large amount of work that gets done
>> with the moderate to low amount of traffic on the list. You guys are all
>> action right? *grin*
>> [...]
>
> Probably a mixture of all of them! IRC, MLs (tech-pkg@ in particular).
> I think that private communication is usually much more rare
> (especially for high-impact changes!).

Agreed.  There is a norm in NetBSD that technical discussions should be
on public lists.