Re: Resources for Pkgsrc

Hello Swift,

Swift Griggs writes:

> https://www.netbsd.org/docs/pkgsrc/developers-guide.html
>
> When folks who are pkgsrc committers want definitive documentation on
> pkgsrc do they use this? Is it more or less up to date? I'm thinking I
> should read it "cover to cover" because I want to become more savvy at
> fixing my own pkgsrc woes etc... I also want to understand more of the
> nuances of problems which are discussed on the list.

Yes, `The pkgsrc guide' is probably the best documentation about
it and reading it cover to cover (also the other parts!) is surely
a good way to learn using pkgsrc, maintaining packages and it also
gives a good overview about the pkgsrc infrastructure (the internals).

Also the `help' target for on-line documentation (e.g. `make help
topic=help') is often very handy.

For pkgsrc there is also #pkgsrc@Freenode.

> Are the high-impact changes (new compilers, new standards, etc..) made
> "out in the open" or do they mostly happen on IRC or with just a small
> cadre of folks discussing it off list?
>
> Basically, I'm trying to square the large amount of work that gets done
> with the moderate to low amount of traffic on the list. You guys are all
> action right? *grin*
> [...]

Probably a mixture of all of them! IRC, MLs (tech-pkg@ in particular).
I think that private communication is usually much more rare
(especially for high-impact changes!).

Not strictly a resource but probably one of the best way to get
more involved in pkgsrc is pkgsrc-wip:

 <https://www.pkgsrc.org/wip/>