Re: distfile mirror site preferences and how to influence them?

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
Please read the original recommendation. There are enough well connected distfile mirrors that cover pretty much all the redistributable distfiles.

After after reading, I see what you mean. Sorry for the noise.

Not sure if cdn.netbsd.org has that part of the tree, but otherwise e.g. ftp.fr.netbsd.org does. For the non-redistributable distfiles, you seldomly have multiple upstream sites, so it really doesn't justify the cost.

I'd never argue with you, brother. Especially when you and the other folks with pkgsrc have done such yeoman's work. However, if this change is already in place I still gotta wonder "Then why does pacman still pull down things like LibreOffice or KDE a zillion times faster." The only answer I can come up with is that it feels (way) faster because it is faster and that's because they are doing it in parallel. However, it's still a value judgement.

-Swift