Re: ANN: Availability of pkg(8)-capable pkgsrc

On 11/14/2016 11:52, Swift Griggs wrote:

* Neither of them can give you a way to emulate yum's "whatprovides"
  feature. That's a huge miss for a sysadmin type guy like myself. Yum/dnf
  is a total turd (rinky dink script, actually), IMO, but that feature is
  an absolute godsend since many times package names don't include the
  command names, and that's what folks memorize.

[resend]

Are you sure? "pkg query" is very powerful. Check "pkg alias"; one prebuilt query may already exist. I don't know yum so I don't know what "whatprovides" does, but I would be very surprised if pkg(8) doesn't do an equivalent.

John

---