Re: Build private packages in pbulk with dependencies from public repo?

On Thu, Oct 06, 2016 at 11:53:09AM -0500, J. Lewis Muir wrote:
> On 10/06, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 05, 2016 at 04:44:18PM -0500, J. Lewis Muir wrote:
> > > I'd like to use pbulk to build my private packages, but I'd love it if
> > > pbulk didn't need to build all the dependent packages that already exist
> > > in a public binary repository.  Is there a way to make pbulk download
> > > and use binary packages from a public repository if they exist rather
> > > than build them itself?
> >
> > While it might be possible to do that, it isn't implemented and I
> > generally dislike the idea. There are rarely is a point for this, since
> > the situation where you want to do this typically overlap 100% with
> > doing limited builds. If you do a limited build anyway, most of the
> > advantage of avoiding some builds disappear.
>
> Hi, Joerg!
>
> Hmm, I don't understand.  I agree with your assessment that this is
> a limited build situation.  However, I still see an advantage if I'm
> building a few private packages that are small, and building all the
> dependent packages can be skipped by downloading them from a public
> binary repository, then I think I'd see a significant speed-up.  That's
> just speculation, though; I haven't tried it.
>
> If you were dealing with my situation, what would you do?  Would you
> let it build all the dependent packages and just accept that that's how
> long it takes?  To be clear, I'm not saying that's a bad approach; I
> really do value knowing what you'd do.  Of course, knowing why you'd do
> something a certain way is even more helpful!

All the situations where I ended up with bulk builds like that, I wanted
to have consistent packages. That almost always prevented the use of
other people's bulk build as base. You might get away with just doing a
"make package DEPENDS_TARGET=bin-install" for your few things, that
would pull in binary packages automatically.

Joerg