Build private packages in pbulk with dependencies from public repo?

Hello!

I'd like to use pbulk to build my private packages, but I'd love it if
pbulk didn't need to build all the dependent packages that already exist
in a public binary repository.  Is there a way to make pbulk download
and use binary packages from a public repository if they exist rather
than build them itself?

For example, say I'm running macOS Sierra, and I'm using Joyent's
pkgbuild ([1]) which uses pbulk, and I have a set of private packages
that I want pbulk to build.  I know that Joyent maintains a binary
package repository at [2], and I'd like pbulk to use it to obtain any
dependent packages of the private packages it's building.  So, if I have
a private package that depends on lang/ruby23-base, I'd like pbulk to
just fetch the latest ruby23-base package from the Joyent repository and
install it in the chroot, and then proceed with building the private
package.

If it can't do this, then perhaps I could do some kind of hack where
I make pkgsrc print a recursive list of dependencies for my private
packages and then fetch the packages from the binary package repository
into my local pbulk package repository.  But I'm hoping there's a better
way.

Thanks!

Lewis

[1] https://github.com/joyent/pkgbuild