Re: Build private packages in pbulk with dependencies from public repo?

On 10/06, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 05, 2016 at 04:44:18PM -0500, J. Lewis Muir wrote:
> > I'd like to use pbulk to build my private packages, but I'd love it if
> > pbulk didn't need to build all the dependent packages that already exist
> > in a public binary repository.  Is there a way to make pbulk download
> > and use binary packages from a public repository if they exist rather
> > than build them itself?
>
> While it might be possible to do that, it isn't implemented and I
> generally dislike the idea. There are rarely is a point for this, since
> the situation where you want to do this typically overlap 100% with
> doing limited builds. If you do a limited build anyway, most of the
> advantage of avoiding some builds disappear.

Hi, Joerg!

Hmm, I don't understand.  I agree with your assessment that this is
a limited build situation.  However, I still see an advantage if I'm
building a few private packages that are small, and building all the
dependent packages can be skipped by downloading them from a public
binary repository, then I think I'd see a significant speed-up.  That's
just speculation, though; I haven't tried it.

If you were dealing with my situation, what would you do?  Would you
let it build all the dependent packages and just accept that that's how
long it takes?  To be clear, I'm not saying that's a bad approach; I
really do value knowing what you'd do.  Of course, knowing why you'd do
something a certain way is even more helpful!

Thanks!

Lewis