Re: pkgsrc on Mac OS X now supports X11_TYPE=modular, please test it

On Wed, 14 Oct 2015 02:12:40 -0400
Louis Guillaume <louis%zabrico.com@localhost> wrote:

> On 10/13/15 3:57 PM, Tobias Nygren wrote:
> > On Tue, 13 Oct 2015 14:40:16 -0400
> > Louis Guillaume <louis%zabrico.com@localhost> wrote:
> >
> >> I have checked out x11/modular-xorg-xquartz and wm/quartz-wm from
> >> -current. Hopefully this will not have issues with the rest of the tree
> >> being pkgsrc-2015Q3.
> >
> > I'm afraid you will need a couple of other things from HEAD or
> > you will run into build errors. At least the following need to be
> > upgraded:
> >
> > graphics/MesaLib
> > graphics/libepoxy
> > wm/libAppleWM
> > x11/xf86driproto
> > x11/xinit
> >
> > It should be safe to upgrade those to HEAD and use them with
> > pkgsrc-2015Q3 but I cannot guarantee it. The changes are too large
> > (most notably mesa 11) to be able to put them in the current release
> > branch.
> >
> > It is also possible to bootstrap pkgsrc-current to an alternate
> > prefix (like say /opt/pkg-current) and only install
> > x11/modular-xorg-xquartz there. Then you can keep /opt/pkg on 2015Q3
> > and install the rest of your packages there like usual.
> >
> > -Tobias
>

> I had to add x11/libxshmfence to the list of packages from -current.
> After that all the dependencies have built ok. But there is a problem in
> the packaging phase for x11/modular-xorg-xquartz itself:
>
> => Automatic manual page handling
> pkg_create: can't stat
> `/opt/pkgobj/x11/modular-xorg-xquartz/work/.destdir/opt/pkg/var/db/xkb/README.compiled'
> => Creating binary package
> /opt/pkgobj/x11/modular-xorg-xquartz/work/.packages/modular-xorg-xquartz-1.17.2.tgz
> pkg_create: can't stat
> `/opt/pkgobj/x11/modular-xorg-xquartz/work/.destdir/opt/pkg/var/db/xkb/README.compiled'
> pkg_create: lstat failed for file var/db/xkb/README.compiled: No such
> file or directory
> *** Error code 2
>
> I touched that file and the package is built. Here's what I found at
> runtime...
>
> After starting X11, most things work just fine when called from an
> xterm. I tried xterm, xpdf, gv. Those all behave fine. Inkscape (the
> binary download for OS X/X11) works ok but you have to start it from
> xterm via the command line.
>
> Calling X clients from the regular MacOS Terminal.app doesn't work. I'm
> sure this is an environmental thing. Currently $DISPLAY looks like:
>
>   /private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.9rqlaPrryF/org.macosforge.xquartz:0
>
> I'm not sure if that's left-over from the prior environment or if it was
> set up by X11.app. Haven't rebooted/logged out, in as yet.
>
> I think that the next thing that needs to work is to be able to launch
> an xterm, xpdf or gv from Terminal.app before X11.app has been launched.
> This could, again, be a local config but I don't know what that is...
>
> Louis

Hi!

Thanks for testing. It seems like it is mostly working. I don't know
much about how this is "supposed" to integrate with the system, having
never actually used a mac with the binary X11.app. It might need some
kind of "installation" step to register itself to get $DISPLAY
globally defined? If the problem persists after reboot, please file a
PR or even a patch. I could not reproduce the README.compiled PLIST
issue, it might be some inconsistency between 2015Q3 and HEAD.

Kind regards,
-Tobias