Re: Prefixing PHP packages with ${PHP_PKG_PREFIX}

David Holland <dholland-pkgtech%netbsd.org@localhost> writes:

> On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 10:45:42PM +0200, Filip Hajny wrote:
>  > For things like roundcube and magento, i.e. software that doesn?t
>  > built against a particular version really and is generally happy to
>  > just use one, I?d love to see dependencies defined in the
>  > {php54,php55,php56}-dom-[0-9]* kind of pattern.
>
> Historically the practice has been that modules (that is, things that
> other software can depend on and import) have been prefixed, and
> applications (things that just use the interpreter) have not.
>
> (It is roughly the same distinction as we make using buildlink for
> libraries one can compile against and not for just things that get
> executed.)
>
> This practice preserves the principle of least surprise for the names
> of applications (which are usually what one looks for by name) -- e.g.
> if you want to use roundcube you don't have to somehow know you should
> stuff "php54-" in front of the name. Similarly, to use youtube-dl you
> don't need to somehow know to stick "py27-" in front, and to use
> spamassassin you don't need to know to insert "p5-".
>
> I think this practice should continue: that is, don't insert
> PHP_PACKAGE_PREFIX in front of the names of applications like
> roundcube. The predictability of naming is more important (especially
> for binary package users) than a workaround for temporary build
> problems. IMO.

This seems like a reasonable argument to me.  I didn't fully grasp that
our php versions are not like our python versions, and there can only be
one.  That makes me feel even more strongly that we shouldn't change the
default to 5.6 until we are pretty sure it won't cause much trouble.

Agreed that building these is pretty quick.