Re: Prefixing PHP packages with ${PHP_PKG_PREFIX}

On Tue, Sep 01, 2015 at 08:28:05PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:

> David Holland <dholland-pkgtech%netbsd.org@localhost> writes:
>
> > On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 10:45:42PM +0200, Filip Hajny wrote:
> >  > For things like roundcube and magento, i.e. software that doesn?t
> >  > built against a particular version really and is generally happy to
> >  > just use one, I?d love to see dependencies defined in the
> >  > {php54,php55,php56}-dom-[0-9]* kind of pattern.
> >
> > Historically the practice has been that modules (that is, things that
> > other software can depend on and import) have been prefixed, and
> > applications (things that just use the interpreter) have not.
> >
> > (It is roughly the same distinction as we make using buildlink for
> > libraries one can compile against and not for just things that get
> > executed.)
> >
> > This practice preserves the principle of least surprise for the names
> > of applications (which are usually what one looks for by name) -- e.g.
> > if you want to use roundcube you don't have to somehow know you should
> > stuff "php54-" in front of the name. Similarly, to use youtube-dl you
> > don't need to somehow know to stick "py27-" in front, and to use
> > spamassassin you don't need to know to insert "p5-".
> >
> > I think this practice should continue: that is, don't insert
> > PHP_PACKAGE_PREFIX in front of the names of applications like
> > roundcube. The predictability of naming is more important (especially
> > for binary package users) than a workaround for temporary build
> > problems. IMO.
>
> This seems like a reasonable argument to me.  I didn't fully grasp that
> our php versions are not like our python versions, and there can only be
> one.  That makes me feel even more strongly that we shouldn't change the
> default to 5.6 until we are pretty sure it won't cause much trouble.
>
> Agreed that building these is pretty quick.

I agree, and building the packages needed for a web server isn't that long
either.
But the point of binary packages it to avoid to do local build, precisely.
If I need to checkout pkgsrc for a single package, I may as well build
all packages locally. It'll be less trouble than mixing local builds and
binary packages.