Re: multimedia/vlc{,2,21}

On Sat, Apr 25, 2015, at 14:33, Rhialto wrote:
> Speaking of vlc, the last several stable branches that I tried it, it
> crashed on one of my machines (even after erasing all of its vlcrc
> files), and on another it plays video for a second or 10 but then
> silently exits. Both run NetBSD 6.1.5 with the same versions of
> packages; the difference may be in audio and video hardware.
>
> Furthermore there is no audio output (I disable the monster called
> pulseaudio of course... I just tried it and it has dependencies of
> hell, such as running dbus... all that junk should not be needed)
>
> This seems to be true for vlc21 and vlc2...

Interesting.  I haven't had any trouble running vlc without pulseaudio,
for all the versions currently in pkgsrc.  One thing to check is whether
something else was grabbing the audio device: without some explicit
multiplexing solution, only one program can do audio output at a time.
Firefox and music players are the obvious suspects.  Note that I'm
running -current, which certainly makes a difference for the audio
handling, and may make a difference for other things.

-- IDL