Re: multimedia/vlc{,2,21}

On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 12:15:54 +0200 Thomas Klausner <wiz%NetBSD.org@localhost>
wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 11, 2015 at 10:18:00PM +0200, Ian D. Leroux wrote:
> > Second problem: configure cannot find liblive, warning:
> >
> > configure: WARNING: No package 'live555' found.
>
> liblive is often troublesome. Just disable the detection and the
> option for now.

Thanks.  As a temporary fix, I've removed rtsp from the
suggested/default options.  Continuing with the learning exercise ...

On closer inspection, there are about 30 configure warnings for
packages that the configure script tries to autodetect and does not
find.  This raises two questions:
- Is there a clear policy I should follow in deciding which of these
optional dependencies to supply, which to turn into package options,
and which to disable altogether?  Or should I just use my best judgment
and then see if somebody complains?
- For dependencies which we opt not to supply, is it better to
explicitly disable features with arguments to the configure script (so
that "make configure" runs without warnings), or to allow the configure
script to look for them in the build environment and fail (for brevity).

(Incidentally, I'm now trying to update to vlc-2.2.1, since that has
been released in the meantime).

--
IDL