Re: multimedia/vlc{,2,21}

On Mon, 16 Mar 2015 08:48:29 -0400 Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> wrote:
> Thomas Klausner <wiz%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:
> > On Sun, Mar 15, 2015 at 08:13:02PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> > I don't know about vlc(1). I imported vlc21 separately from vlc2
> > because the vlc2-oss-backend supports NetBSD<7 while the
> > vlc21-oss-backend needs OSSv4 which is only in NetBSD>=7.
>
> So it sounds like vlc2 has a reason to still exist.  But vlc(1) is not
> clear.

Now that April Fool's Day is safely over, I'd like to suggest the
following for the vlc packages:

- remove the current multimedia/vlc from the tree.  vlc-1.1.13 dates
from late 2011, I'm not aware of any users of this package (certainly
none have responded to this tread) and no one has indicated that this
version supports a platform that is not supported by more recent
versions of vlc.

- Leave multimedia/vlc2 as it is, for the benefit of NetBSD<7 users
wanting OSS support.  I see that wiz@ has already updated the DESCR of
multimedia/vlc2 to document the reason for keeping this version in the
tree.   (Thank you!)  With 20/20 hindsight, I wish the package were
named vlc20 (since it's vlc2.1 that breaks OSSv3 support), but at
this point renaming the package qualifies as unnecessary churn.

- Have multimedia/vlc be the standard "normal" vlc package, for users
who just want a recent stable release. For now that means renaming
multimedia/vlc21 (which installs vlc-2.1.4) to multimedia/vlc.
Eventually, this package could be updated to vlc-2.1.5 or even,
assuming no loss of compatibility with currently supported platforms,
vlc-2.2.x.

I assume that the deletions/renames, once agreed upon, are
straightforward operations for someone with commit privileges.  I'll
try to take care of the version update (it's about time I learned to
update a pkgsrc package), but it might be some time before I can get to
that.

--
IDL