[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Old Index]
Re: More options for nginx
----- Le 27 Oct 14, à 12:36, Greg Troxel gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost a écrit :
> My quick reaction is that gthe nginx package has a crazy amount of
> options. options are handy for source builds, but don't work well with
> binary packages. So whenever possible, it's better if the extra
> functionality is in a different package. Or, if the option is so
> useful relative to the dependency burden that almost everyone will want
> it, perhaps it should just be enabled by default.
> All of these options seem to be adding in extra code that is not part of
> the nginx release. Generally pkgsrc packages actual released tarballs.
> I wonder if nginx is going to accept these patches/modules, or if they
> will remain separate, and what you think about that.
Nginx modules are not the same as Apache modules, they are always built
inside the main binary file. Having one package per option would be
crazy, I think. Moreover, some people would want a combination of some
options enabled and some other disabled.
I noticed Ubuntu (maybe others ? )has more than one nginx package.
Here are some of them :
- nginx - small, powerful, scalable web/proxy server
- nginx-common - small, powerful, scalable web/proxy server - common files
- nginx-core - nginx web/proxy server (core version)
- nginx-extras - nginx web/proxy server (extended version)
- nginx-full - nginx web/proxy server (standard version)
- nginx-light - nginx web/proxy server (basic version)
- nginx-naxsi - nginx web/proxy server (version with naxsi)
- nginx-naxsi-ui - nginx web/proxy server - naxsi configuration front-end
It could be a good idea to reproduce (part of) this system, like this :
- nginx would be nginx with only some options enabled
- nginx-full would be nginx with all the options from nginx enabled
- nginx-extras would be nginx with all the options from nginx and from
third party (like syslog or naxsi) enabled.
If one wants to customize the build options, that could be done with the
Main Index |
Thread Index |