Re: XSB Prolog on NetBSD (Re: wine-devel hangs with high CPU usage)

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 10:38:14PM +0400, Aleksej Saushev wrote:
> Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost> writes:
>
> > On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 10:28:43PM +0400, Aleksej Saushev wrote:
> >> Can you point us to source tarball? Share changes you made?
> >> Perhaps we could look at it.
> >
> > What does it take for a software to be added to pkgsrc?
> >
> > I'd really love to see XSB there, even though it works for amd64 as of
> > now.
>
> Package and submit, it doesn't matter whether you file it as PR, send it
> to pkgsrc-users, or to some active developer directly.

Will start the activity. No matter how long it takes.

Any tutorial available for package creation?

> I took a short look at it and see that there're few problems to be fixed
> first:
> 1. XSB tries to install files even before it has passed configuration stage.
> 2. It reports that it fails to find iTCL, yet tries to install the file.
>
> It sounds like it is a messy software. It will take some time.

If we make corrections and somehow the maintainers do not accept them,
what do we do? Maintain them as a patch? (I see the maintainer community
to be very thin. I think it mostly involves students. Of late I find they
are focusing on wrong things just for fancy such as wrapping build process
in a Java GUI instead of fixing the core problems that people face. There
is a huge backlog over years on bug tracking page on sourceforge.)

> (By the way, why don't you use Yap or SWI Prolog instead? Do you use any
> highly XSB-specific tools?)

Deductive database features. XSB is extremely good at that. When I don't
need them I'd prefer Sicstus.

Mayuresh.