Re: wine-devel hangs with high CPU usage

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 04:45:14PM +0400, Aleksej Saushev wrote:

> > I can try it as long is does not require too much of insight into the app
> > itself.
>
> WINE Is Not Easy.

Oh yes. I am pretty sure it isn't. Hence what I meant was things like
tweaking of options that must be tweaked on NetBSD etc. (An example below
will clarify what I mean by those tweaks.)

> You started talking about WINE, but it seems that what you need actually
> is some open-source Prolog interpreter that builds (and potentially works)
> for FreeBSD and Linux. What we need to know now is its name. (Is it Ciao?
> XSB?)

Sorry about that. I was citing an example where possibly a few tweaks
could get it work on NetBSD. I was looking for similar guidance on wine.
Hence did not elaborate on Prolog.

Yes, it's XSB. Following is what I could and couldn't do:

The XSB configure script does not recognize NetBSD. I just added netbsd as
orred pattern to freebsd (essentially made it do the same things it does
for freebsd including #define FREEBSD etc. for netbsd.) (I have grepped
through their code. They do not have #ifdefs for NetBSD anywhere except
for a library that I am not interested in, but they do have #ifdef FREEBSD
at a few places. Besides having to explicitly provide -lpthread when
linking etc is similar on NetBSD.)

With this change I could compile XSB on NetBSD 5.1 on amd64.

However the same trick did not work for XSB on NetBSD 5.1 on i386. On
i386, the C layer compiled fine, though a large part of XSB is written in
Prolog itself and it gets compiled as a part of build where the basic xsb
executable failed with memory violation message.

I'm a long time user of XSB but with little knowledge of its internals.
However I know one thing that they use pointers in some very peculiar ways
to gain certain efficiency benefit. On "purist" architectures this could
lead to problems. (Sorry, I do not know enough to say anything more
specific than that.)

Mayuresh.