Re: what happened to adjustkernel?

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 07:07:15 -0800 (PST)
Hisashi T Fujinaka <htodd%twofifty.com@localhost> wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Feb 2010, Thomas Klausner wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 11:17:57AM -0800, Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:
> >> Was I unclear? Let me repeat myself:
> >>
> >> I use adjustkernel fairly often. Every couple of months at least. I know
> >> it's broken, but I find it useful. I know how to edit the kernel config
> >> by hand, but I'd rather start with the output of adjustkernel.
> >>
> >> I would like it put back. Mention that it's going to leave out buses if
> >> you have to (it's pretty predictable in what it's going to do).
> >
> > Please fix it or find someone to fix it, then I see no problem with
> > putting it back in pkgsrc.
> >
> > Otherwise, just copy the last copy you have lying around and use it
> > for as long as you like... I don't see any advantage for having this
> > package in pkgsrc if noone is interested in fixing it for 8 years.
>
> I can look into it, but I used it broken for years. Apparently for 8
> years.

me too. I've used it that way since 1.6 and it always gave a good
starting for a custom configuration! It's not broken in terms of
'unusable' it's just not perfect.
The list of things it doesn't found was/is fairly small and since
theese are added at the end of the config it is easy to fix them.

To me adjustkernel is a tool to get a start for my custom config, so
I've never expected a working kernel config from it. It's sad that it
got removed because it's not perfect enough for some people.

regards
Uli
p.s. I'd fix it but i don't know perl