NetBSD-Users archive

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Old Index]

Re: disks, partitions, slices, etc.



Oct 3, 2026, 03:15 by ea1abz%gmail.com@localhost:

>
>
> El 3/10/26 a las 4:42, Jeff escribió:
>
>>
>> Based on advice I got elsewhere, I would like to put an ext2 filesystem on an existing partition that I can share between NetBSD and Gentoo on a dual boot system. The advice was to create the filesystem from in NetBSD.
>>
>
>
> Well, I did the opposite (probably wrong): I formatted the ext2 filesystem
>  under Linux, and I’ve had some trouble with it in NetBSD, as you may have
> read here.
>
> Also RVP pointed problems when parallel copying files:
>
> "Well, I conclude that the NetBSD ext2fs implementation is just buggy. As a test,
> I created a DYNAMIC_REV FS using newfs_ext2fs(8), then did your parallel copy
> test. Seemed to work fine. Unmounted and remounted; removed all the files;
> repeated again. This time, the kernel paniced in the mkdir(2) syscall inside
> ext2fs.
>
> If you want to keep making backups to ext2fs from NetBSD, I would avoid
> any parallel operations."
>
> I honestly don’t know why, and I didn’t take any notes since then, so my memory is a
>  bit fuzzy, I was overwhelmed by the complexity of the whole thing, but after
> I ran the last looong fsck from NetBSD (using the e2fsprogs fsck, I think),
> the problem hasn’t happened again. I’ve done about a dozen rsyncs since
> then without any problems. But the question will always remain...I do not
> know if fsck fixed the filesystem or the conditions that caused the problem
> may simply not have occurred again.
>
> Regards.
>
Thanks for the information.  I hope that you don't have any further issues with your drive!

Jeff


Home | Main Index | Thread Index | Old Index