NetBSD-Users archive

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Old Index]

disks, partitions, slices, etc.



i'm trying my best to learn NetBSD, and hope that it will some day, hopefully soon, become my primary OS. There's one area that is really stumping me at the moment though, and that's storage.
I've been reading the documentation and doing searches, and the impression that I get is that one needs to use entirely different tools to work with MBR vs GPT partitions, and that most of the documentation is specific to MBR. Is this true? Can anyone direct me to documentation that clearly explains how to work with a solid state drive with a GPT partition table?

Based on advice I got elsewhere, I would like to put an ext2 filesystem on an existing partition that I can share between NetBSD and Gentoo on a dual boot system. The advice was to create the filesystem from in NetBSD.

Specific things that I don't know:

- How do I learn what NetBSD calls the partition that I want to work with.  For instance, if "fdisk -l" in Linux tells me that it's /dev/sda4, what command can I run in NetBSD to find out what NetBSD calls it?

- Once I know what identifier I should use in NetBSD to refer to the partition (or slice? wedge?), what tool(s) do I use to create the ext2 filesystem on it?

- Are there any other steps or tools needed that would not occur to me, coming from Linux?

Thanks very much for any help you can provide.

Jeff

-- 
 Secured with Tuta Mail: 
 https://tuta.com/free-email


Home | Main Index | Thread Index | Old Index