Re: X11: db of working/not working

On 07/12/2023 10:15, tlaronde%kergis.com@localhost wrote:
[If the intention was not clear: this is just my data, and others
could perhaps add their data too, for users---searching what
works---and developers. "i915" or "radeon" doesn't mean a lot: there is
a huge variety of variants masquerading behing these generic names.]

NetBSD 10.0-RC1 with patch applied to fix kern/57268. Base system X.

Integrated GPU:
[ 1.002270] i915drmkms0 at pci0 dev 2 function 0: Intel Haswell Integrated Graphics Device (rev. 0x06)
[     6.127714] i915drmkms0: interrupting at msi8 vec 0 (i915drmkms0)
[ 6.135164] [drm] Initialized i915 1.6.0 20200114 for i915drmkms0 on minor 0
[     6.306164] intelfb0 at i915drmkms0

Dual monitor (identical monitors) connected by a dual HDMI KVM:
1xHDMI - EDID 1920x1080
1xDVI - EDID 1920x1080

Until X starts the console is mirrored on both displays as is the bootloader output.

Xorg.conf overrides keyboard layout and selects the modesetting driver over the intel one. Used to work with the intel driver so I suspect it does now I've patched the kernel issue that was common to both. I apply one xrandr setup on boot so that the monitor layout is correct as I don't run a desktop environment that controls that.

See some display artifact that look like failure to flush caches before assigning the memory to the screen. These appear mostly when rendering or scrolling text areas and the mouse pointer and dissapear when the system is under heavy load (bulk pkgsrc builds or parallel OS builds). Most clear within 1-2 seconds on an idle system but sometimes it takes a little longer for the cursor to catch up.

Worst offenders for text artifacts are Firefox and Thunderbird. Emacs and xterm never have them. The mouse pointer issue impacts everything.

All of this behaviour matches 100% what I had with the earlier DRM code from 9.3 as well although there I was using the intel driver rather than modesetting.

I do occasionally get a disappearing monitor when switching between KVM imputs but that's a KVM issue and impacts all the machines attached to it of various types.

Mike