Re: pkgconf freetype and flags

On Fri, 20 Oct 2023, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

> Hi!
>
> who sets what pkgconf returns for the packages? Is it upstream or does it come
> from NetBSD?

See the .pc files under:
/usr/pkg/lib/pkgconfig
/usr/pkg/share/pkgconfig
/usr/lib/pkgconfig
/usr/X11R7/lib/pkgconfig

See the manpage about the environment variables which may be used to
find the pc files.

> I think there is an issue with freetype, missing the other part.
>
> Here:
> osgiliath: {64} pkg-config --libs freetype2
> -L/usr/pkg/lib -lfreetype
> osgiliath: {65} pkg-config --libs-only-other freetype2
> <nothing>

See
pkg-config --path freetype2
and read that pc file to see how configured.

> if I compare it with nettle, which works fine:
> osgiliath: {72} pkg-config --libs nettle
> -Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib -L/usr/pkg/lib -lnettle
> osgiliath: {73} pkg-config --libs-only-other nettle
> -Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib
>
> we see that for freetype -Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib is missing and this causes me
> various issues during configures and builds.

I assume you are talking about configures/builds outside of pkgsrc.
Since pkgsrc wrappers add linking flags as needed for pkgsrc builds but
may not always end up in the generated/installed pc files.