Re: pkgconf freetype and flags

Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola%libero.it@localhost> writes:

> who sets what pkgconf returns for the packages? Is it upstream or does
> it come from NetBSD?

For packages:
generally, upstream, and pkgsrc tries to fix it if it is not right.  It
is often not right...

For the base system: it's really up to NetBSD.

> I think there is an issue with freetype, missing the other part.
>
> Here:
> osgiliath: {64} pkg-config --libs freetype2
> -L/usr/pkg/lib -lfreetype
> osgiliath: {65} pkg-config --libs-only-other freetype2
> <nothing>
>
> if I compare it with nettle, which works fine:
> osgiliath: {72} pkg-config --libs nettle
> -Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib -L/usr/pkg/lib -lnettle
> osgiliath: {73} pkg-config --libs-only-other nettle
> -Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib
>
> we see that for freetype -Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib is missing and this causes
> me various issues during configures and builds.

This is the typical bug.

You can look at the freetype2 package and the file from upstream and how
LDFLAGS get substituted in.

Basically things are often linuxy and assume that everything goes in
/usr and there is no need to set rpath.