Re: seeking desktop hardware recommendation

Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:
> My system has a 2010 4-core CPU, 24G RAM and aside from being worried
> about thermal issues, my only real complaint is that I'd like more CPU.
> Once upgrading of course I want more RAM, but I'm not really bothered by
> 24G right now.  So:

I upgraded a similar vintage desktop to your one a couple of months ago,
a capacitor looked to have blown on the motherboard and it wouldn't
power up. I could have just tried buying a used motherboard but took the
opportunity to upgrade.

The AMD Ryzen 7 5700X CPU seemed to hit a sweet spot in terms of price,
performance and power budget.

Bought a fairly cheap ASUS motherboard with two M.2 slots.
Bought 32GB DDR4, space for two more DIMMS.
Bought one M.2 500GB SSD.
Bought the cheapest AMD Wraith cooler, will probably upgrade this later.

I reused the old graphics card, an AMD/ATI Radeon 5450 that works well
with the old radeon drivers, no idea if something of that age will do
2560x1440.

Reused an Intel PCIe GbE card instead of using the Realtek GbE port on
the motherboard.

Was already using a modern tower case that will take an upgraded cooler
with a fairly new PSU.

I also bought a refurbished Lenovo T495s laptop on eBay, as suggested by
abs@, have done some work on improving the amdgpu driver but it doesn't
do accelerated graphics yet. No idea if the amdgpu driver works better
on desktop cards.