Re: Can "pre installed Windows" on a laptop be used as a VM

On 11/27/2022 7:57 PM, Mayuresh wrote:
On Mon, Nov 28, 2022 at 07:04:12AM +0530, Mayuresh wrote:
On Sun, Nov 27, 2022 at 12:56:43PM -0500, Jason Mitchell wrote:
1) Shrink the partition. Use dd to create an image of the partition and use that for the vm image.
Can you suggest a tool to shrink the partition?
Also, if shrinking is possible and I can utilize free space to create new
partitions and installed other OSes, I can dual boot to Windows. (I don't
necessarily need Windows as VM.) Please also suggest if this is feasible.

If you run the Windows Command Prompt as Admin, type "diskmgmt" and the Disk Management window will open. You can also get to Disk Management from the Windows Control Panel. It offers options to shrink the volume. It also recommends you first run the Windows Defragment routine on the volume before you try to shrink it. Good Luck